ITALIAN SWORDFISH CRUDO - Recipe by: Chef Michael Finizia
This light salad balances flavors of South Florida, with avocados and citrus served ceviche style over thinly sliced Swordfish, and anchored with Italian Mediterranean flavors for a delightful take on the classic Italian crudo.
- 10 oz Swordfish (Barrel Cut)
- 1/4 Bunch Fresh Organic Thyme, Leaves Picked
- 1/4 Bunch Fresh Organic Oregano, Leaves Picked
- 1/2 ea Fresh Ripe Avocado, Diced
- 1 ea Fennel Bulb, Shaved Extra Thin
- 1 Cup Celery Heart, Leaves only
- 1 ea Shallot, Extra Fine Minced
- 1 ea Orange, Segmented Into Supremes
- 4 ea Whole Lemon, Cut In Half
- 4 oz Fine Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To Taste Fresh Cracked Black Pepper From Mill
- To Taste Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
Properly Clean and portion the swordfish in to a bar. Roll swordfish in herbs to evenly cover and chill well. Prior to slicing, place in freezer for 30 minutes. Take out of freezer and slice paper thin, similar to sashimi thickness. For extra-thin results, slice thin and place between plastic, then pound or roll with a rolling pin. Lay slices on plate as you cut, slightly overlapping. Reserve in refrigerator until ready you are to assemble and serve.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE
Just prior to serving, squeeze fresh lemon over the swordfish carpaccio and allow even coverage of lemon juice. Adorn the fish with orange segments, diced avocado, shallots and celery leaves. Dress the plate with fresh cracked black pepper and Maldon salt with extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately, chilled similar to ceviche or sashimi.
Bon Appetit!! Chef Michael Finizia